Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Chivalry is still hanging in there

Sometimes it's the little things that make me smile...

Yesterday afternoon I packed up my laptop and headed for home as usual. Onto the parking deck, where I waited forever on the eternally slow elevators. When the door opened I got on, pressed 6 and went straight to the back to make room for everyone else - it was 5:30pm, and a full house because everyone was anxious to go home. The door closed and I found myself in an elevator full of about 7 men (talk about lack of estrogen, ha!). They all seemed to know each other, carrying on various conversations about the events of the day, while I stood silently in the back corner, ready to breathe a sigh of relief as I get in my car and know im done for the day.

We took the elevator all the way to the top. Ironically everyone in there was parked on the same floor (which is uncommon, but im not complaining - that just means fewer stops and that I can get to my car that much quicker). And then something rare happened. When the door opened, every single one of the men stopped talking, stepped back and cleared a path to let me off the elevator first. It was like the parting of the Red Sea.....of men! Now I know what Moses felt like on a much, much, much smaller scale. ;) How polite!! I gave a nod and a thank you (hoping they didnt see the astonishment on my face), and went on my way. But as I walked to my car, I couldnt help but crack a little smile. Ahh, there are still a few gentlemen left out there who remember the manners their mothers taught them.

Boys, take note...it really doesn't take much to make us happy - even the simplest of gestures can make a girl's day. ;o)

No comments: