Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Daily Detox Debrief: Hangry Much?


Well...I can pretty much sum up the first two days of this fast with one word: HANGRY
(no, that's not a typo...I didn't mean to say "hungry" - I meant hangry, as in...I'm so hungry I'm angry.)
To give you the full rundown of the rules for my week-long processed food detox, 
well...there are only two rules really:
1. No solid food (processed or otherwise)...just Fruit and Veggie Smoothies for all three meals.
2. No coffee (but green tea is ok)

Might as well kill me now.  Or at least give me a cookie.

After doing tons of research online and reading smoothie recipe after smoothie recipe, I decided to create my own. (btw, I decided on smoothies vs. juicing because with juicing you lose more nutrients) 

Here's what I came up with:

Jamie's Green Smoothie
1 Handful of ice
2 Cups of water
2 Heaping handfuls of Spinach or Kale (or mixed greens)
3-4 Strawberries
1 Small handful of blueberries/raspberries
1 Banana
1 Apple (sliced, no core)
1 whole carrot (or 5-7 baby carrots)
1 Tablespoon of Almond Butter
1 Tablespoon of Flax Seed Oil (with Omega 3)
5 Prunes (for well, you know...)
1 Cup of Almond Milk
(this makes 64oz - enough for two meals!)


I threw it all in my awesome Ninja blender (that thing can chop!). And to make it easier for me (and eliminate excuses), I went ahead and pre-prepped smoothies for the rest of the week by dividing the ingredients (minus the almond milk, almond butter & flax oil) into ziplock baggies and put them in the freezer.

So here's the lowdown on how it went...

DAY 1:
I was hungry. Real hungry.
So hungry that I did, in fact, sniff the wrapper of a fruit roll-up for five minutes (or more), just so I could pretend I was eating it.  Did I mention I did this in the middle of a meeting in front of my whole team?
[hangs head in shame]
I was so pathetic that I couldn't make it through the entire day, I caved and ate some leftover chicken for dinner...served with a whopping side of guilt. I went to bed determined to do better the next day.

DAY 2:
This day was like sheer torture. Not only was I still hungry, but our staff team had a "team outing" - at the Braves game, of all places. I can't count the number of hot dogs, burgers, fries and nachos that walked by me, wafting their amazing aroma...almost taunting me. Add in a caffeine headache and I was par for the course. It took everything I had to say no to all my ballpark favorites, but I begrudgingly did it.
As if that wasn't tough enough, we had small group that night at my place and I had to make the sweet treat and appetizers...talk about torture! You don't know desperate until you see me with Reese's Peanut butter bars in my hands (baking them, of course) and I can't eat a. single. one. Oy.
But I stuck to my guns and went to bed still hungry.

So that brings us to today. 

DAY 3: 
I'm happy to say today was much better. No caffeine headache, and I made it all the way through! I felt fairly content most of the day, and I even found myself salivating over my dinner smoothie and not the food in the pantry. I don't feel nearly as tired as I did the first two days. I think we might be making a little progress! 

Take that, toxic food! It's time for you to get out of my system!

Tomorrow should be another story though, we're hosting a dinner party at our place. 
I'm cooking.
And I can't eat any of it.

Jesus take the queso coated wheel...I swear I can do this!




No comments: