Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Play that funky music...

I love music. Like...a lot.

No, seriously.

It's a pretty safe bet that 99.9% of the time, i'm singing one song or another in my head (and sometimes out loud...my apologies to all my cube mates at work).

So today I was driving in my car with my iPod on shuffle. It never disappoints me. It's like an unending game of "name that tune." Each selection arbitrarily fluttering from genre to genre. There are some songs that have been sitting in my ipod untouched for quite some time. If it were an actual cd, you'd likely need to wipe off a layer of dust before playing them.

In the midst of my eclectic mix, I look down just in time to see Deana Carter's "Strawberry Wine" pop up on the playlist. Oh, but not just any version...the karaoke version. Oh yes. You can guess what happened next...

I rocked the entire song. (at the top of my lungs, mind you, like I was Kelly Clarkson singin' for her supper)

Of course I was by myself in my car (thank goodness).  But nonetheless, for a few moments I was transported back to my senior year of high school when my friends and I, with our freshly earned driver's licenses, used to belt out this song as loud as we could. And then I also recalled another line in the song. The one that says "I still remember when 30 was old..." Yeah. That one.

I recalled how we used to say "umm...30 IS old."

Aaaaand then I looked at my calendar and realized that I have exactly 60 days until I hit the big 3-0.

Ouch.

Funny how 30 doesn't seem quite as old to me now as it did then. And funny how a song can remind you of a specific time and place in your life so vividly...like a soundtrack.

So that got me thinking...as i'm about to exit my 20's and enter the world of "thirty, flirty and thriving" (a little throwback to all my 13 going on 30 movie fans), what kind of soundtrack do I want for the last days of my 20's? How can I wisely and purposefully use these next 60 days?

I can tell you I don't want to leave my 20's kicking and screaming...I want to gracefully exit singing and dancing. I have a feeling i'm going to look back on this decade as some of the hardest, yet most amazing times in my life. I want to celebrate that. And I want to look forward to what God has for me next.

I haven't always felt that way...in fact, this is something i've really wrestled with for the better part of the last two years. Mostly for stupid, stereotypical reasons. But i'm coming around, and beginning to get a little excited about the next chapter. I'm excited to enter with a much better grasp of who I really am rather than who I thought I was when I entered my 20's.

So, here's my top 5 selections for my life soundtrack for the next 60 days:

1. Glory to God Forever - Steve Fee
2. Footloose - Kenny Loggins (did you really think I wouldn't have an 80's throwback in there?)
3. Typical - Mutemath
4. You Can't Hurry Love - The Supremes
5. My Next 30 Years - Tim McGraw

Ok, your turn...what's your current life soundtrack?


Jamie

2 comments:

newtech said...

1.DCB-How He loves us
2.Melisa How-Holding nothing back
3.Colbie Caillat-Rainbow
4.Jesse McCartney-Beautiful soul
5. Teddy Geiger-For you I will

Mitch Henson said...

1. Don't Stop Believing (my ring tone for Amber... "just a small town girl...)
3. Livin on a Prayer (see a theme here?)
3. Return to Pooh Corner (Erin's song)
4. Made to Worship
5. It Is Well
6. We Stand (Lee McDerment... just an awesome rocker song that gets me up on Sunday mornings!)