Tuesday, June 15, 2010

In God We Trust...?

I have a confession to make. I never did the "trust fall" at camp as a kid.

(gasp)

You know the one I'm talking about...where you stand on a ledge, and your friends are supposed to catch you all together with their arms? Yep. Couldn't do it. Was it because I didn't trust that my friends wanted to catch me?

No. I think it was more my fear of what would happen if for some reason they couldn't.

In the same token, why do we find it easier to trust God with things that we have absolutely no control over, as opposed to those situations where we could trust Him, but often choose to rely on our own strengths and talents instead?

Is it because our view of trust has been tainted by disappointment from imperfect people? (Insert cheesy salesman here saying "heeey, you can trust me" while winking and shooting his super-cool finger gun at you) Or is it because we allow our fear of losing control of a situation to take over and instead we faithlessly manage the things that we think we're capable of on our own?

There are so many areas of our lives where it's easy to say "ok God, you're in control...until you do something I don't like, or I become fearful that things aren't going to go the way I planned..."

  • Finances
  • Relationships
  • Work
(I could keep going, but you get my point)

We claim we're surrendering these things to God, when in reality, we never fully loosen our grip.

And then there are the times where I know there is absolutely nothing I can do about a situation, and so I really have no choice but to trust that God is in control.  But then again, is that really trust...or just submission by default?  

Our daily currency says "In God We TRUST"

Proverbs 3:5 says "TRUST in the Lord with ALL your heart"


What do you need to loosen your grip on today?


Jamie

No comments: