Monday, June 07, 2010

Keep your eye on the ball...

Hello old friend, how I've missed you. It's been a while since I've written, I guess you could say I got a little distracted. I've let other things garner my attention, and the next thing I know, I haven't blogged in almost 8 months.

How did that happen?

Apparently it doesn't take much.

In the last month, I've had at least two friends get in a car accident because they took their eyes off the road, for a moment. A slight distraction was all it took to lose control of their vehicle and send them crashing into the car in front of them.

You ever wonder how a dancer can spin around and around without falling over? They're taught to have a "spot" or "center" that they constantly focus their eyes on and follow all the way as they turn around. Know what happens if you lose your "spot" for even a half second? You guessed it...you get dizzy, lose your balance and everything around you all of a sudden seems to be moving in the wrong direction.

Even a baseball player at bat is told to keep his eye on the ball. I don't think he's going to be able to hit a 90mph fast ball by focusing on the 1st base that he's hoping to ultimately land on.

So what happens when you take your eyes off of God, even for a moment?

You wind up where I am tonight: frustrated, a little defeated, and feeling a whole lot like everything else in your world is out of whack.

And it only takes a moment.

A moment of getting caught up in the things of this world that don't matter. Or even caught up in the things that do.

A moment is all it takes to let a desire, a goal or a dream all of a sudden become an idol to us, momentarily taking our focus off of His path for us. It doesn't mean God doesn't want those things for us, it's just that these things aren't where our eyes should be focused...they should just be in the periphery, while our eyes are constantly on Jesus...the ultimate prize.  It's an act that isn't always easy to do, with all of the distractions that are readily available to us today....i'm just thankful that even though I may lose my focus from time to time, He never takes His eyes off me.

"Our God is, jealous for His own
None could comprehend, His love and His mercy
Our God is exalted on His throne
High above the heavens
Forever He’s worthy...

We will keep our eyes on You
We will keep our eyes on You
So we can set our hearts on You
Lord we will set our hearts on You!"

No comments: