Tuesday, August 09, 2011

30 Days of 30: Day 18 - Unexpected Blessings


"I can't imagine anything more worthwhile than doing what I most love. 
And they pay me for it."
     -Edgar Winter


I'm not gonna lie...there has not been a single day in the last five years that I haven't looked forward to getting up and going to work. (ok, well maybe not the day I had the stomach virus...but that was for different, obvious reasons)

However if you had told me 10 years ago that I would be working in ministry, at a mega-church, mind you, I would have probably laughed in your face and told you to put down whatever crack you were smoking because it was making you say ridiculous things.

Funny how things change, huh?

It turns out, the place I least expected to be is the place I find myself most content. Most at peace in knowing I'm right in the center of God's will for my life right now. Right where I am supposed to be, even if it is not where I planned to be.

If you and I were to sit down for coffee and I were to tell you my story, the list would be about a mile long of the ways that North Point Ministries has affected my life and my faith.  When I found myself walking through the doors for the first time nine years ago, I was a broken, hurting mess. But God met me in a place where I didn't even want to go.

And there I found healing. I found forgiveness. I found restoration. I found what it truly looks like to have a growing relationship with Jesus...not just one where I tell Him what I want and try to do what I think is right. I found community. I found wisdom. I found a place that I wanted to give back to for all that it had given to me.

I found home.

And when the door of invitation opened up to leave the corporate world and step into full time ministry, I found what I believe is my true calling. To love, to serve, to do everything in my power to point people back to Jesus.

Sometimes I have to pinch myself and ask, is this really my life? Do I really get to do this for a living? What an honor. What a responsibility. What a blessing. This has by far been the most challenging job I've ever had, but also the most rewarding. I am grateful every day for our senior pastor, Andy Stanley, and the small team that took a leap of faith years ago to create a church that was unlike any other. And I'm so thankful for our staff leadership team who makes it their goal to invest in us as employees, as followers of Christ and as friends.

I love the fact that I get to serve Jesus for a living.
It kinda gives the term "working for the man" a whole new meaning... :)


Jamie

3 comments:

.:Hancakes:. said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

John Lee said...

this was a fantastic read... the "working for the man" part was a delight... to read your story made my day

A Second Take said...

Hey I just have to say, that life leads in ways that we couldnt have imagined before, especially if we are open to His leading, Something that you are.. I am going through the of the same struggles with finding my home and being content, but i thank you for encouraging me with your writings.. David