Monday, April 14, 2008

Don't spoil your dinner...

I remember one Saturday afternoon when I was about 10, I came in from playing outside all day and I was starving. It was late afternoon, and mom was already at work in the kitchen beginning to prepare dinner. I asked her if I could have a snack but of course, her answer was an emphatic "no, you'll spoil your dinner."

I almost walked away in defeat, but my stomach wouldn't take no for an answer. Inevitably I began to nag my mom, confidently proclaiming that I would just die or at best, wither away to nothing if I had to wait a whole hour for dinner. Afterall, I knew best the needs of the stomach that was attached to me, not her. The more I begged, the more frustrated she became until she eventually said ok, knowing full well what was going to happen.

With the green light in my court I proceeded to help myself to a rather sizable amount of junk food, undoubtedly stuffing myself silly and meeting my seemingly "urgent" need for sustenance. Shortly thereafter, mom called us down for dinner. Wouldn't you know, she had made my favorite -mom's world famous (ok, maybe not world famous...but it sure is #1 in my book) spaghetti. Just the sight of it though made my full little stomach ache. I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to put one single bite of that in my mouth without getting sick.

My mom was right, I had spoiled my dinner.

At first I was just sad because I was missing out on something great, something I loved. And then I felt guilty, when I saw the look on my mom's face...she had worked hard to prepare a good meal for us, something far better for me than all the chips and cookies I filled myself up on, and what did I do? I wasted it.

I thought about this moment today, and it made me wonder...how many times have I done that to God? How many times do I want something so badly, that I beg and plead with Him until He gives me what I want, knowing all along what I will miss out on as a result - rather than waiting for something better that He is preparing for me? He created me, why do I sometimes lose sight of the fact that He knows my every need, and knows when they need to be met?

I'm not sure I really know the answer to that. Maybe it's the fact that we live in a "get it faster" society. Maybe it's the fact that patience is often a learned trait for me - I don't always execute it naturally. Maybe it's because we live in a fallen world and we are all tempted by the enemy who knows our weaknesses.

Maybe it's none of these.

Maybe it's all of them.

Lord, it is my sincere prayer today that you withhold from me selfish or impetuous desires that I might 'think' I want for my life right now, especially if receiving the means that I might miss out on an opportunity to better glorify or serve Your kingdom. I ask that in times when I want something before you're finished preparing it for me, don't just tell me no...shoo me out of the kitchen. :)


Jamie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE THIS... this hit home with me today.. i love ya girl.. lets hang out soon..

Anonymous said...

So when do you start giving the talks at 7|22?

I think I might have teared up a bit because its so true in my life, I always fill up with junk and end up with no room for what I really need.

Wow. Now I am gonna stay up all night and think. Thanks. :-P

jnt. said...

word. to yo mutha.