Monday, July 11, 2011

A love letter...

Today my precious niece was born! (I'm not partial at all) It was love at first sight, i'm not gonna lie. She is just perfect. For her first birthday (well, technically that will be a year from now, so let's call this her inaugural birth day), I decided to write her a love letter...to be opened on her 16th birthday. It's just a letter full of love and words of wisdom that I hope one day she'll take to heart. Some of it I wish I had taken to my own heart at that age... 


Sweet baby girl,

Today may have been the day you arrived on this earth, but you've been thought about, prayed for and loved long before you ever graced us with your presence. As I held you in my arms today, I couldn't help but think about how your journey is just beginning...and how exciting that is, even though you don't know it yet. 

And by the time that you read this, you'll be turning the big Sweet 16. Such a pivotal time in your life. Where you get your first little taste of freedom. Where you begin to feel like you're ready to make your own decisions. Where your parents all of a sudden become your wardens instead of your superheroes. Where all your decisions on what to do/what to wear revolve around what boys will be there (some things never change, btw...and this will drive you nuts). Where you begin to wish you were just a little bit older, so you could do whatever you want. Oh yes, I remember that age. 

And now, at 30, if there was any age I could go back and give some advice to, it would be the 16 year old version of me. But, since I can't go back, and us girls have to stick together, I thought i'd pass a little of that wisdom on to you in hopes that maybe you can learn in advance what I often had to learn in hindsight. So here goes:

I used to roll my eyes when people told me this, but don't be in such a hurry to grow up. You have plenty of time for bills and boys later...enjoy the time you have now to play, to dream, to stay up ridiculously late giggling with just the girls, eating cold pizza and making silly memories. I thought at 18 I knew it all...and I spent the next 12 years figuring out that I really hadn't a clue about much of anything. 

Don't be so anxious to act & dress like an adult.  Sure, you may get attention for it, but trust me, just any attention is not good attention. And remember, how we dress affects guys' minds just as much as what they say to us affects ours. It IS possible to look and feel beautiful without walking around partially clothed. And guys, the right kind of guys (the kind you really want), will respect that.

Take time to find out who you are before you decide what you want. College isn't as much about figuring out what you want to do as it is about figuring out who you want to be. Character will outlast a career any day. 

You're going to get hurt. People will disappoint you and let you down. Some may even betray you. Boys will break your heart (don't worry, i'll kick their butts). It's ok. It doesn't mean God doesn't love you, it just means He's allowing a little suffering in your life to sharpen you, to teach you about yourself, to teach you about grace and forgiveness...two of the most important things you'll ever learn.

This one may sting a little bit, but....it's not all about you. Yes, you are important. Yes, you are dearly loved. Yes, your life matters (a lot). But we weren't put on this earth simply to selfishly fulfill all of our own desires. We were bough with a price, and we are here to glorify God. It's in continually striving to do that, we find that Jesus will fulfill the desires of our heart...the ones that truly matter. But remember, His timeline and ours are often WAY different, That doesn't mean He's forgotten about you...He can just see a little farther down your path than you or I can. Trust that He knows what's best.

Your parents may sometimes seem like the ogres who are keeping you from having any fun. (sometimes that may be true) But know they do what they do because they dearly love you, and they want to keep you alive another day. Regardless of how mad they make you, love them. Respect them. Honor them. Period. They won't be around forever, and one day you'll wish you could have that time back.  They have sacrificed a lot for you, be grateful.

Most importantly...there's nowhere you can go and nothing you can do that isn't covered completely by the grace of God.

There's so much more I could tell you, but for now i'll leave you with two final pieces of advice:
1. Follow your heart, but take your brain with you.
and 
2. There's always a room for you at my house. :)

I love you so much,
Aunt Jamie

Oh, and PS...if you ever decide to get a tattoo, please consult with me first. I know how to keep your grandparents from completely flipping their lid when they find out. ;) 

No comments: