Friday, July 22, 2011

30 Days of 30: Day 1 - Roots

"Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids."
                                                    ~Sam Levenson

If I'm going to spend 30 days sharing all the parts that make up me, it only makes sense to start in the very beginning...a very good place to start (my apologies to Julie Andrews & The Sound of Music). Ahem.

That's right, I'm talking about the two people who are single handedly responsible for fact that I never drowned because they made me wait 30 minutes after eating before getting back in the pool. The ones that made me sit at the kitchen table until I ate all of my vegetables (but who also never knew that I flung half of them behind the microwave stand because I didn't really want to eat them...sorry mom!). The unsung heroes who bandaged my skinned knees, dried my tears and refereed my knock down-drag outs with my sisters. The ones who still, at age 30, make me call them anytime I get to where I'm going when I head out of town. (and I'm ok with that)

I'm talking about my 'rents. Good 'ole Mom and Dad.


I'm one of the lucky ones. When I look back on my childhood, I get to smile and say that my mind is filled with happy memories.

Memories of laughter.
Memories of building tents in the living room out of sheets.
Memories of dancing in the den to all their favorite records.
Memories of feeling the freedom to be a dreamer.
Memories of never hanging up the phone without hearing my parents say I love you.

Did they do everything perfectly? Of course not, they're human.  But there wasn't a single dance recital, band concert, game, competition or performance that I ever looked up at and didn't see both of their proud faces (well, usually I only saw one face - the other was hidden behind the video camera, of course). I never once had to question my priority in their lives. I never once wondered if they were proud of me (no matter how good or bad I did).

They've laughed with me, cried with me, and of course, grounded me more times than I care to remember...but they've always loved me. They've always shown me an amazing example of sacrificial love in their 35 years of marriage (and still going!). They've always helped pick up the pieces when my world seemed to be falling apart. They've always been there. And one day I hope my own future kids get to see just how special these two are.

Mom & Dad, thanks for loving me...no matter what. I am grateful for you and love you more than you'll ever know.




Jamie

No comments: